What is the SSA?
The Special Service Area (SSA) program is a funding tool to maintain a clean, attractive, and competitive commercial district. The funding comes from a nominal tax levy on each commercial property within the SSA service area. These services are in addition to services provided by the City of Chicago and provide a unique opportunity to locally fund and manage services that strengthen the community by providing public enhancements that contribute to the quality of living, working, and shopping within a SSA district.
Andersonville’s vibrant commercial district is comprised of unique, locally-owned businesses; celebrates diversity; honors its rich culture and history; fosters joyful community life; and in all actions considers the triple bottom line of people, planet, and prosperity.
The boundaries of SSA #22 are Clark Street from Ainslie to Victoria and adjoining side streets up to the alleys, plus the south sides of Balmoral and Foster from the west alley to Ashland.
Andersonville SSA #22 supports this vision of Andersonville, with services including advertising and promotion, public way maintenance, public way aesthetics, tenant attraction/retention, façade improvements, parking/transit/accessibility, safety programs, and district planning.
The SSA Supports the following programs:
- Sidewalk sweeping & trash/recycling pick up 5X/week (6X/week in the summer)
- Sidewalk pressure washing annually in the spring or summer
- Native Plant planters! Planting, watering and maintenance of the streetscape planters. multiple plantings per year when needed.
- Sidewalk snow removal from November 15 – April 15, when snowfall is 2” or more
- Facade Rebate Program, Security Camera Rebate Program, Public Art Rebate Program, and Better Air Rebate Program.
- Bike corrals
- Holiday marketing for Andersonville businesses
- Andersonville Neighborhood Guide
- Marketing of the Andersonville business district
- Andersonville holiday decorations that includes planters and over 150 decorative light posts.
- Studies and planning